Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Technology Trouble-Week Two

This week was actually pretty smooth technology wise. All computers and projectors cooperated and worked.

My students are working in presentations in several classes and we are constantly frustrated by their inability to use the right click option on images. We work around it by using keyboard shortcuts, however students now are so used to being able to click and go that "short cuts" actually take longer to explain and demonstrate than they once world have.

Another time we have had to work around technology to allow progress is in my accounting class. The examples that accompany the text are extremely useful, we are lucky to actually have a good textbook for the course, however it is setup to use with an overhead or Elmo. A couple of weeks ago my overhead projector broke and was unable to be repaired. The replacement that was sent was not very functional either. I have been experimenting with different ways to overcome the projector issue. I have used PDF files and displayed them on the board which works somewhat but often the answer is displayed before appropriate. I have tried using a document camera but can't get a good resolution shot to display. I have started having the students write the answers piece by piece on the board which seems to work somewhat but not ideal.

I think the key to dealing with technology is to be flexible and willing to try different solutions and approaches until something fits. Keep Calm and Carry On :)

No comments:

Post a Comment