Monday, April 2, 2012

Digital Storytelling-Week Eight

For the digital storytelling assignment, I decided to take advantage of an opportunity to complete the assignment and address a classroom management issue that I have been having. I have a computer based class that has had "issues" staying on task.  Mainly, completing their assignments and staying off of Internet gaming websites.  I recently suspended everyone's privileges for using the Internet for any activity that was not directly related to my class, anyone violating the suspension was written up and directed to their grade level principal.

I do not enjoy taking such a hard line with the students, however sometimes examples have to be made in order to drive home a point.  I have already "made examples" of a couple of students and believe that my point has been made.  I now need a reason to reinstate privileges for the students, without forfeiting the progress that has been made. This assignment allowed me to do so.

I advised the students that we would put our current assignment on hold and they would be given the opportunity to earn back their Internet privileges.  The task I gave them was to break into teams and make a video that demonstrates that they can identify and use appropriate classroom behavior. They were allowed to use the iPads, iMovie and Garage Band applications.  The videos had to be three minutes in length. The students were required to use storyboards to plan their videos before they could begin filming. The experience was very positive for everyone involved and encouraged several students to participate in class as they had not before.  The end results were pretty good for their first attempts.

I would love to share the video with your, however as it predominately features the students, I am refraining from posting the link for their privacy.  I will be happy however to share the videos with you on an individual basis.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment