My opinions regarding the flipped classroom concept are mixed. I love the idea in theory. However, I feel that we are not yet there as far as implementation goes. At this point, too many of our students are without access to technology at home either because of financial concerns or lack of access because of their geological location to make the flipped classroom a reality. We do not have the resources to address this issue and until we do, I do not believe that a flipped classroom could be fully implemented.
I do believe that the flipped classroom ideas could begin to be implemented, in particular to benefit the absent student or those who need additional reinforcement. The possibility of videoed lecture and notes has much merit, I have two students in mind that miss a good deal of class however, I believe that they would be able to keep pace with the classroom work if they had access to lectures and the information presented in the classroom setting.
Regarding social media, I approach the use of social media with a great deal of trepidation.
I love the idea of using social media to communicate with students and encourage learning. However, our society has become so litigious in nature now, and the responsibility of a teacher to influence student behavior long beyond 3:00 pm bell so great, that I do not feel comfortable using social media in the classroom.
Students are so free in what they share via social media that I simply do not want the responsibility of policing potential comments associated with any posts or communication that I may initiate. I do feel that there is a potential lost opportunity there to add educational value, I just feel that the liability is too great.
The "fake" social media sites are a great idea, but I when I have broached the subject with my students, I did not feel that they would actively participate in a fake site the way that they do on the actual Facebook and Twitter sites.
No comments:
Post a Comment